You are not going to the CrossFit Games. In fact, the vast majority of you aren’t even going to Regionals or making the Masters Qualifier. Very few do. I’m sorry but it’s the truth. But let me tell you 10 incredible things that WILL happen if you sign up for the CrossFit Open.
- You will be part of something big. REALLY big. 272,000 people big. All there for one thing – to test their fitness. You can see where you stack up again the entire world, but the only person you are really competing against is yourself.
- You will do something you never thought you could. It might be double-unders, you might PR a lift, hell, you might even get a muscle-up. Or, you might just sign up and that’s more than you ever thought you could do.
- You will find that you aren’t the only one who has doubts about their abilities. That guy who cleans 250? He struggles with hand-stand push ups. That girl who can double-under till the sun comes up? She is afraid to push anything heavy up over her head. We are all afraid of something and we doubt our abilities everyday, but when the Open comes around it’s like an AA meeting – “Hi, I’m Joe and I can’t climb a rope.” – you are welcome here and nobody will judge you.
- You will discover that the only true way to know your level of fitness is to have the courage to test it, and that is what the Open is for. Test. Work hard. Re-test. See results. That’s how CrossFit works.
- You will find yourself cheering for that last guy on the floor harder than you cheered for the guy who finished first. You may even find yourself the recipient of those cheers – and it will give you the strength to get through to the end.
- You will witness at least one incredibly courageous moment. At least one. It might even belong to you.
- You will find out where you stand, how fit you are and what you need to work on. You will make promises to yourself and others and you will find the strength to keep them.
- You will discover that there is not a hell of a lot of difference between that 20 year old physical freak of nature and the 50 year old woman pushing her limits beside her. The weight on their barbells is the same, their box jumps are the same and they both need to get through it one way or another. They may take different paths but they are both arriving at the same destination, tired and beat. And they will both earn your respect.
- You will discover something incredible about yourself and this community you have become part of. You will find that your fitness matters. It matters to you and it matters to them.
- If this is your second, or third, or even fourth Open, numbers 1-9 still apply. Every. Single. Time.
So when your coach asks you if you are going to sign up for the Open, I encourage you to say YES, whether you are just starting out or whether you are an experienced CrossFitter, just say YES. Because who would want to miss out on numbers 1-10 above? I don’t, and I don’t think you do either.